Popular Articles - CLICK ON TAB (1-4) TO STOP ROTATION


Honesty and Vulnerability the Key to Intimacy

One of the main factors of having and keeping a good relationship is being able to trust, and have good communication. In order for others to trust us, we have to be able to become vulnerable, and show our vulnerability. Honesty and vulnerability go hand in hand. You cannot be totally, and genuinely truthful with another, without opening up fully to them.[...]

Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places

We are conceived through a connection, of the deepest kind, between a man and a woman, and from the moment that we are conceived, we are connected to our Mother in her womb. When that physical connection we began with is separated at birth, we spend our lives desiring to be connected again. How we go about, and how well we succeed, at re-creating that connection…becomes the story of our lives.[...]

"Puppet On A String" Who Is Controlling Your Strings?

I was raised in a family of givers, and caretakers, and the old fashion way, where the women wait on the men, and take care of the home, but in the world of relationships, that tenancy and upbringing, if taken too far, can get me into a whole lot of trouble with men, and ultimately be the downfall of any relationship. There is a fine line between caring for someone and allowing yourself to be a “puppet on a string”. When you spend all of your time trying to please another person, at your own expense; they will see you as weak, possessive and clingy.[...]

Have You Seen My Rose Colored Glasses?"

I was reading an article by Zara Stevens, and it hit on something that has been on my mind a lot these past few years. "You no longer make me happy anymore." I heard this statement a lot at the end of my last relationship; that had started out with the most profound happiness that I could ever imagine. Both of us were filled with dreams that we were working to create together, along with supporting each other's individual dreams. But then there came that "crack", as Zara put it. I think that so many times part of the problem lies in the fact; that we meet someone, and they begin to bring so very much happiness into our lives, that each of you creates this perfect picture in your mind, about what a wonderful,[...]

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Games People Play in the Name of Love

Okay, just when I think I have seen it all, there it is…it’s inevitable that I will come across yet another thing in life that will leave me in disbelief. I was doing my regular surfing among the promotional sites, when I came across "Imaginary Girlfriends.com". I almost hate to put the link here, as I imagine the people reading this that are going to click on over there, and how many may actually sign up, and what is going through their heads when they do. Some scary thoughts start popping into my head.

Some people will do just about anything to gain confidence, or to be deceptive, both fooling themselves and the world.


The ad talks about the reasons you might be in need of this service. Tired of having friends and family tell you that you need to have a girlfriend? Want to get over on an ex-girlfriend and make her jealous, along with a few others. It’s a good thing the woman I wrote about in “Alls Fair in Love and War”, didn’t see this ad, only in her case the opposite, “Imaginary Boyfriends.com”. I somehow think she would have been a regular customer.


When you sign up, you can send them information about yourself, and make up how you met, so that the “girlfriend”, can send you fake love letters sprayed with perfume. Depending on the girl you choose, because they are all unique, they will email you, web cam you, instant message you, and send you photos, a special gift. Then when your time is up, you can have the pleasure of feeling superior and break up with your imaginary girlfriend, or you can extend your service, of course, if you choose. Hell, why not just give them all a whirl?


I have to wonder what some of the thoughts going through the customer’s mind is, as they run around lying to all their friends and family about their “girlfriend”. Do they pass their imaginary love letter around for all to see? Leave it on the coffee table and invite their ex-girlfriend over, or better yet the person they are interested in now? Do you frame the photos that they send you, and display them in a prominent place, and carry a few in your wallet? Do they disappear for a weekend now and then, only to come back and lie some more about what a sex filled weekend they have just spent with her? And just how many helpless smucks are actually going to start believing the whole façade, before it’s over?


What do you think?

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

16 Love note(s):

evilwoobie said...

heh. thanks for sharing this, sis. mind if I linky you? Im on a quest of finding more "love-related amusing/disturbing sites" and this is so up there among the weirdest relationship related love sites. I just finished reviewing whywasidissed.com. :)

searchingwithin said...

Just stopped by their myself to check out your found treasure! ; ). Sure linky away.

I'll be stopping by your site often to check in on your new found discoveries.

Ben said...

Interesting read thanks! However I'm presuming the company responsible for providing the imaginary girlfriend uses one girl for many. Wonder what would happen when two guys 'showing off' their imaginary girlfriends realise they have the same one :)

Ben (Ozscot)

searchingwithin said...

Ben,

Why I have to admit that I hadn't thought of that, since there appears to be so many women so willing to exploit themselves for a buck. You should have seen all the spam mail I have deleted from this particular post.

But I have to say, you have brought up a very interesting question. Of all the visions I had wondering through my mind, I hadn't thought of that one.

Thank you so much for the contribution!

G8rBryan said...

People come up with anything to make a buck; the sad part is that there is always someone willing to blow their money on ridiculous things. This is a prime example of that.
"A fool and his/her money are soon departed".

timethief said...

It's astonishing what people will do for the almighty dollar. Even more astonishing is that there are those who want an "imaginary" girlfriend. Somehow it's both sick and sad at the same time.

Setting that aside I have marked you as a friend and I have joined your neighborhood previously. Today I decided I like your blog enough to rate it, review it and I added a link to it to my blogroll on my personal blog under relationships. I hope you like my blog http://thistimethisspace.com to place a reciprocal link to my blog in your blogroll.

Cheers

searchingwithin said...

Thank you g8rbryan, you are so very right! I have always made more than enough (up until lately) to more than sustain myself, and I am sure that I blow it now and then for ridiculous things, in someones mind, but your word "fool: sticks out in my mind in this case. We all have our weaknesses, but...

searchingwithin said...

timetheif, it seems you are pondering many of the same things. You are right, it is both sick and sad at the same time. Where do you go from there?

Thank you so much for the attention you are giving me. We run is some of the same cyber societies, and I respect your opinion greatly. It is an honor!

G8rBryan said...

SW,
I am not the wisest at times when it comes to money. I blow my share of money as well. Thankfully none of it has been do to an imaginary girlfriend.
I have noticed in a "break-up" that one normally tries to make the other jealous so they will make-up. Saying that he/she has a new bf/gf happens quite often. Happened to me several times. It didn't work with me though, I'm not the jealous type. Lol.

searchingwithin said...

g8rbryan, I have also had it done to me, but in my case, it only drove me further and further away. I went back for awhile, but then they used that person to hold over my head as a tool to control and manipulate me with, and I got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore.

G8rBryan said...

I have also noticed when jealousy doesn't work after a break-up, the person then tries the "sympathy or pity" type guilt trip. Men especially try that approach with their recent ex.

alitta said...

Great article! Love needs tons of understanding and sincerity :)

searchingwithin said...

g8rbryan, I think women resort to that too sometimes. No one wants to loose the person that they love, and I know from my own experience that emotions can take control if your not careful, and sometimes even then.

Alitta, you are right, among many other things.

Pisio808 said...

Ben stole my thunder... I was wondering how the owners of this company can sleep at night... let alone their customers...

Drowsey Monkey said...

I don't know whether I think that's funny ... or odd... lol. Very interesting tho, and you raise some good questions!

Love that cartoon ... :)

Bill said...

this a very good article. Lets face it most people just dont want to be alone so they will do some things that they normaly would not do just to have that feeling. Breaking up is never easy but it happens. Your a great writer keep up the great work. I will also check back for new posts here.

Post a Comment

Thank your for leaving your hand print behind.

SPAM will not be tolerated on this site and your comments will be deleted.

 
© Copyright by Open Your Heart to the Love  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial