Popular Articles - CLICK ON TAB (1-4) TO STOP ROTATION


Honesty and Vulnerability the Key to Intimacy

One of the main factors of having and keeping a good relationship is being able to trust, and have good communication. In order for others to trust us, we have to be able to become vulnerable, and show our vulnerability. Honesty and vulnerability go hand in hand. You cannot be totally, and genuinely truthful with another, without opening up fully to them.[...]

Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places

We are conceived through a connection, of the deepest kind, between a man and a woman, and from the moment that we are conceived, we are connected to our Mother in her womb. When that physical connection we began with is separated at birth, we spend our lives desiring to be connected again. How we go about, and how well we succeed, at re-creating that connection…becomes the story of our lives.[...]

"Puppet On A String" Who Is Controlling Your Strings?

I was raised in a family of givers, and caretakers, and the old fashion way, where the women wait on the men, and take care of the home, but in the world of relationships, that tenancy and upbringing, if taken too far, can get me into a whole lot of trouble with men, and ultimately be the downfall of any relationship. There is a fine line between caring for someone and allowing yourself to be a “puppet on a string”. When you spend all of your time trying to please another person, at your own expense; they will see you as weak, possessive and clingy.[...]

Have You Seen My Rose Colored Glasses?"

I was reading an article by Zara Stevens, and it hit on something that has been on my mind a lot these past few years. "You no longer make me happy anymore." I heard this statement a lot at the end of my last relationship; that had started out with the most profound happiness that I could ever imagine. Both of us were filled with dreams that we were working to create together, along with supporting each other's individual dreams. But then there came that "crack", as Zara put it. I think that so many times part of the problem lies in the fact; that we meet someone, and they begin to bring so very much happiness into our lives, that each of you creates this perfect picture in your mind, about what a wonderful,[...]

Friday, January 23, 2009

Dare To Meet the Most Wonderful Person You Will Ever Know…Yourself

I find it so intriguing the way our minds work, and the games that we play with ourselves, problems we generate, and misery we create in our own lives, in the process. The people that you love, loved, and interact with do not create these things, we do. We all want to blame the “other guy”, which is just another one of those tricks we allow our minds to play on us.

If you have read my blog “Valley of the Subconscious,” you would know that unbeknownst to most people, our subconscious mind runs the show. We don’t recognize it, because we are not consciously aware of what it is up to. Our bodies usually tell us, through our gut feelings, reactions, triggers, etc., but we usually don’t listen.

I was reading an article over on Baggage Reclaim, a blog that I fell in love with recently, entitled, “Drama Seeking Triggers”, and found myself laughing my ass off. I was laughing, because I felt like I was reading about myself in the past, and sometimes fall back into in the present, if I don’t keep a close eye on my own behavior, and listen to my gut (intuition), and what my body is telling me.

She stated in her post:

Much of the behavior in dysfunctional relationships can end up continuing simply because it works on some level. It caters to everything that you believe about yourself, love, and relationships, hence whatever happens, it’s what you thought was gonna happen anyway, which is the self-fulfilling prophecy, which irrespective of how painful these experiences are, is actually comfortable. Yes, exhausting to read, I know! Now imagine living it!

Your Drama Seeking Trigger is that thing or that feeling that sets you off. Whatever your Drama Seeking behavior is rooted in, for example, abandonment by a parent, when you get into that zone of being afraid that you are going to be abandoned, it is because something about the situation is familiar, or your overriding fear plays out, and you act on it.
No matter what your Drama Seeking Triggers are, it all pretty much boils back down to FEAR.
In essence, you can pretty much end up having a relationship with your fear.

[snip]

even if you did find a guy that did actually do all of these things, you are likely to question it because of your fears, hence, you could end up turning up the drama meter just to see what happens to the relationship and prove that your fears are founded. YOU GET TO BE RIGHT.
She is so right, and I am so guilty of this. We are all guilty of this on one level, or another. We all have fears, and fears will rule you, if you don’t take charge of them. I am guilty of this last quote with my last relationship. This man adored me, was willing to give everything for me, and it scared me so damn much, I created drama, to test him of course, and pushed him away, at the same time latching on for dear life. Deep down, I knew what I was doing; I just couldn’t seem to stop myself. But in the end, it gave me the perfect excuse for pointing my finger at him, and proclaiming, “I told you so.” I could play the victim, a role I had taught myself to play very well. I knew I was pushing him away further and further, but subconsciously, that is exactly what I needed to do to fulfill the prophecy.

Needless to say, the relationship ended badly, with two people in excruciating pain, and more baggage than we started with. What it did do for me, however, was to cause me to go deep inside. I was in so much pain I couldn’t stand to be me, and I had to get it out. In some of her articles she mentions keeping a journal of your feelings, and what triggers them, as a way to learn about yourself. Out of my own instincts, that is exactly what I did. I carried it with me everywhere I went. It not only helped me say the things I needed to say to him, but couldn’t, and work through the unbearable feelings, without totally driving all my friends into hiding, it helped me to learn so much about myself. It was painful to see, and acknowledge.

Rather than to work through the pain, and learn from the pain, we all want to stuff in down deep where we don’t feel it, and/or drown it in a bottle or some other kind of addiction. But when we do that, we are just asking for it to keep coming back up and slapping us in the face at a later date. It clouds are judgment, beliefs, perceptions, relationships, choices, decisions, rationality, etc. It’s painful, I will not lie to you, but the place you come out to when you get to the other end, is so freeing. But you have to look inside, deep down inside yourself. Become acquainted with yourself. Learn to know yourself.

We spend so much of our lives trying to get to know other people and what makes them tick, but we never seem to stop and try to get to know, and understand the one person that matters the most.

Face the fear. Dare to meet the most wonderful person you will ever know…yourself.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

2 Love note(s):

Shadow said...

it feels like you've crept into my head and read my mind. i'm still climbing out of the horrid spiral. i'll get out. eventually. great post this!

Anonymoussaid...

A journal is so freeing. It helps in so many ways. But when you use a book to keep track of your triggers, you will learn so much, and where and what you need to work on, because so many times we have no idea what triggered us. Sometimes it can be so hidden, like a sound, a tone in the voice, a smell. Just about anything.

~Best Wishes~

Post a Comment

Thank your for leaving your hand print behind.

SPAM will not be tolerated on this site and your comments will be deleted.

 
© Copyright by Open Your Heart to the Love  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial